Wisdom teeth extraction is almost a rite of passage for teens and young adults around the country, including our young Grand Parkway Smiles patients in Richmond, TX. Youngsters and their parents often become aware of wisdom teeth sometime during adolescence, typically between the ages of 17-25, when the third molars (as they’re called in dentistry) begin to push through the surface of the gums.
WHAT IS WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION?
The eruption of the third molars can cause discomfort and, in some cases, pain in the jaw and surrounding teeth. Wisdom teeth extraction is the procedure in which the dentist surgically removes the patient’s third molars.
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION?
Wisdom teeth don’t serve a practical function in the mouths of modern humans, but can cause quite the disruption instead. Your (or your teen’s) Grand Parkway Smiles dentist may recommend wisdom teeth extraction to address problems that often occur with the eruption of the third molars, or as a preventative measure to ward off such issues in the first place.
The primary problem that typically goes hand-in-hand with wisdom teeth eruption is called impaction, meaning there isn’t enough room to allow the third molars to come in fully and straight. As a result, one or more wisdom teeth may end up growing in at an angle, pushing adjacent teeth out of position or pointing toward the back of the mouth. In some cases, the wisdom tooth cannot erupt at all and grows horizontal to the jaw bone. Other times third molars remain “trapped” and unable to break through the surface of the gums altogether.
Aside from causing pain in the patient, wisdom teeth (impacted or otherwise) can cause a variety of additional problems:
- Because they are hard to reach with a toothbrush, wisdom teeth facilitate tooth decay in the third molar itself and adjacent teeth
- Infection or gum problems
- Cracking or fissures in surrounding bone and adjacent teeth
- Possible cysts and/or abscesses caused by infection
- Complications with braces due to increased alignment issues
Most young patients are at risk for these and similar problems because wisdom teeth rarely come quietly, without disturbing adjacent teeth. For this reason, only very few people end up keeping all their wisdom teeth into adulthood and beyond.
What does wisdom teeth extraction cost in Richmond, TX?
The typical starting cost for a single wisdom tooth starts at $199.00
We are able to provide Wisdom Teeth Extraction with Sedation for very Affordable rates.
Prices for Wisdom Teeth Extraction With Full IV Sedation are:
1 Wisdom Tooth Extraction with IV Sedation $699.00
2 Wisdom Teeth Extraction with IV Sedation $899.00
3 Wisdom Teeth Extraction with IV Sedation $1199.00
4 Wisdom Teeth Extraction with IV Sedation $1499.00
(the prices above reflect options for our Cash Patients)
If financial considerations prevent you from getting the dental care you need, ask us about our affordable dental financing plans!
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION?
The wisdom teeth removal procedure works like any other tooth extraction. Talk to your Grand Parkway Smiles dentist prior to surgery about sedation options available to you. Most wisdom tooth extractions are done under oral sedation or general anesthesia to minimize discomfort for the patient.
- The dentist begins by making an incision in the gums to better access the tooth and bone
- He must then remove bone to expose the tooth root
- The tooth is cut into sections, and the individual pieces, along with any debris, is removed
- Once the wound is clean and free of bone and tooth fragments, the dentist administers stitches to close the surgical site
- Gauze is placed over the wound to facilitate blood clotting and control bleeding
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION?
The anesthesia will likely leave you disoriented for a few hours following the procedure, so it’s important to arrange for a friend or loved one to take you home following surgery.
For the next few days:
- Use an ice pack to ease discomfort and follow your dentist’s recommended schedule for prescription pain relief
- Stick to soft foods like soup, mashed potatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, etc.
- Avoid brushing the surgical site
- Don’t smoke for at least 72 hours after surgery
- Refrain from strenuous activity for about a week
To ensure a speedy recovery from wisdom teeth extraction, be sure to follow the dentist’s discharge instructions carefully.
WHY CHOOSE GRAND PARKWAY SMILES FOR WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION?
At Grand Parkway Smiles, your comfort is our top priority and we offer Emergency Dental Services. We offer a full range of sedation options to keep you pain-free during wisdom teeth extraction. Talk to your dentist if oral sedation (pills taken by mouth prior to the procedure) or general anesthesia (IV sedation) are right for you.
Schedule a consultation with your Richmond dentist at Grand Parkway Smiles by calling 832-222-0016 today!