TMJ Dentist in Richmond, TX
Do you need a TMJ dentist in Richmond, TX? Grand Parkway Smiles proudly serves TMJ patients at our 99 the Grand Parkway location. From conservative, non-invasive treatment options to surgical solutions, our experienced dentists have relieved the pain and discomfort of TMJ sufferers for many years. We invite you to schedule a FREE, no-obligation consultation today!
CALL NOW: (832) 222.0016
What is TMJ?
TMJ is short for temporomandibular joint syndrome. The condition is also known as TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder). The term TMJ officially covers a variety of issues affecting the face (including ligament and muscle problems), but is most commonly used in connection with pain in the jaw joint.
What are the symptoms of TMJ?
Symptoms of TMJ are broad and vary from person to person. They can include any of the following:
- Jaw pain, discomfort, or tenderness
- Pain in one or both of the temporomandibular joints
- Pain or tenderness in or around the ear
- Discomfort when chewing food
- Facial aches and pains
- Locking, clicking or grating of the jaw joint
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
In some cases, TMJ is so severe that the patient is practically unable to open his or her mouth without extreme pain. While these instances are relatively rare, it is important to consult with your Grand Parkway Smiles dentist at the first signs of possible TMJ to prevent a progressive worsening of the condition.
What causes TMJ?
TMJ can affect people of all ages but most commonly occurs after age 30. The exact cause is often difficult to determine, and may be a combination of underlying issues that occur all at once. There are some risk factors that may help facilitate the development of TMJ, including:
- Injury or trauma to the jaw
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Deformity of the jaw or facial bones
- Sleep disorders or chronic fatigue
- High stress levels
TMJ sufferers often experience periods without symptoms, followed by flare-ups of the condition.
What are the treatment options for TMJ disorder?
Mild cases of TMJ may be temporary and resolve on their own. Treatment with over-the-counter pain medication (like ibuprofen or acetaminophen) often controls discomfort until the episode passes.
For more serious cases, Grand Parkway Smiles dentists can help achieve relief through
- Custom-made night guards to alleviate teeth clenching and grinding
- Jaw massages (we’ll show you how!)
- Dietary changes
If the pain is severe, consistent, and/or disruptive of your everyday life, your dentist may consider surgery to address your TMJ disorder. Please note that surgery is always a last resort! Grand Parkway Smiles dentists will always recommend the least invasive treatment options first.
Does insurance pay for TMJ treatment?
Insurance coverage of TMJ treatment varies by provider and plan. In many cases, coverage is available if certain conditions are met. For some patients, however, insurance coverage may not be available.
At Grand Parkway Smiles, we believe that everyone should be able to afford quality dental care, and no one should have to forgo treatment due to financial considerations. We therefore provide financing options with a 98% acceptance rate.
We work with all PPO dental insurance plans and will gladly determine your insurance coverage status prior to treatment. Should insurance coverage for TMJ treatment or surgery be unavailable, ask your dentist about our affordable financing options. No credit check required!
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION: (832) 222.0016
Why Grand Parkway Smiles?
We offer comprehensive oral health services for the whole family, including TMJ treatment. When you choose Grand Parkway Smiles as your TMJ dentist, you will benefit from:
- Convenience: Richmond / Katy area location
- Affordability: financing options are available
- Coverage: we work with all dental PPO insurance plans as well as Medicaid/CHIP
- Quality: experienced dentists specializing in the full spectrum of dental services
- No pain – no fear: we offer a full range of sedation options including laughing gas, oral sedation, and general anesthesia to ensure your comfort throughout your procedure
CALL TODAY: (832) 222.0016