When it comes to choosing a dental health care provider for your child, should you choose a general dentist or someone specializing in pediatric dentistry?
Think of it this way: Do you entrust your child’s overall health to a general doctor or a pediatrician? Most parents would prefer the pediatrician.
Health care professional who specialize in treating children, including the Grand Parkway Smiles pediatric dentists in Richmond, receive specialized training in achieving the best possible outcomes for your son or daughter.
WHAT IS PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY?
Pediatric dentistry focuses on the oral health and dental treatment of children from infancy through adolescence. Pediatric dentists are experienced in handling children’s unique physical, emotional, and psychological needs.
A dentist specializing in pediatric dentistry is typically equipped with
- In-depth knowledge of children’s dental development, including anticipated milestones, symptoms indicating a potential problem, and age-appropriate preventive techniques
- Tools that better accommodate small mouths
- A child-friendly manner that puts young patients at ease
- Toys and/or entertainment in the waiting area
- Small treats or goodie bags that foster a positive experience at the dentist office
- Vocabulary that a small patient can grasp without instilling apprehension
- Distractions in the treatment room to reduce anxiety
WHEN DOES A CHILD NEED PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY?
Pediatric dental visits should begin in infancy, with the eruption of the first tooth and no later than the 1st birthday. Following the initial visit, babies, children and teens should receive regular dental checkups in 6-month intervals – just like adults – to ensure healthy oral development.
In addition to addressing any problems that may exist, these appointments also serve as an opportunity to discuss upcoming developmental milestones, address parents’ questions and provide age-appropriate dental hygiene tips, and instill healthy oral health habits in the child for a lifetime of happy smiles.
A child typically graduates from pediatric dentistry and moves on to a general dentist around age 18.
WHAT ARE SOME PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY PROCEDURES?
As your child grows, his or her pediatric dentist may recommend various age-appropriate treatments and procedures in addition to routine exams.
- Dental sealants to prevent tooth decay
- Space maintainers to maintain or create room for permanent teeth (after premature loss of baby tooth, for example)
- Tooth extractions if severe decay is present or to relieve tooth crowding
- Wisdom teeth extraction (in adolescence)
- Dental fillings for cavities
- Fluoride treatment to strengthen teeth
- Pulp treatment for injured or decayed teeth
- Dental crowns to repair advanced tooth decay
- X-rays (at child-appropriate radiation levels)
- Dental cleanings to remove plaque and tartar buildup
WHY CHOOSE GRAND PARKWAY SMILES FOR PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY IN RICHMOND, TX?
We love children, and nothing gives us more satisfaction than seeing our youngest patients grow into healthy teenagers with confident smiles!
With every pediatric dentistry procedure we keep your son or daughter’s comfort in mind. Sedation options are available for children as well as adults. Talk to your pediatric dentist about pain remedies that may work for your child.
We understand that taking good care of your child’s teeth and oral development can get expensive, especially when there are multiple children in the household. Grand Parkway Smiles offers affordable payment plans to ease the financial burden.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER MY CHILD RECEIVES PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY TREATMENT?
When your child is done in the dentist chair, he or she is in for a treat! We strive to end the visits of our young patients on a high note, because by loving their dentist, they are much less likely to develop dental anxiety later in life. And less fear of the dentist means regular visit, which in turn ensures a lifetime of healthy, happy grins!
Want to learn more about Grand Parkway Smiles pediatric dentists? Call us at 832-222-0016 today!
Our Patients Reviews
Loved this dentist! So quick, nice and informative... I was dreading taking my 21 month old daughter to her first appointment but they were so helpful and sweet! Highly recommend this office