When a tooth cracks, chips, or shows signs of severe decay, your Grand Parkway Smiles dentist in Richmond, TX, may recommend a dental crown to restore the tooth’s functionality and appearance.
Dentists like dental crowns because they are a great way to strengthen damaged teeth and preserve their structure, while patients appreciate them for their seamless integration with existing teeth in both shape and color.
Your Richmond, TX, dentist may use dental crowns in a variety of applications.
- As the finishing touch after root canal treatment
- As a topper for dental implants
- As part of dental bridges
- As a cosmetic solution to unsightly teeth
WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?
Think of a dental crown as a cap that covers your natural tooth. Dental crowns are securely cemented into place to tightly “hug” existing teeth, which keeps them firmly attached. The prosthesis is typically made of porcelain or metal, although composite resin can also be used.
Your Grand Parkway Smiles dentist will likely recommend a specific type of material for your dental crown, depending on multiple factors:
- How visible is the tooth that is being treated?
- Where in your mouth is it located and what forces does it need to withstand (i.e. biting and/or chewing)?
- What is the condition and position of your gums?
- What shade is needed/desired?
- What is your personal preference of material?
The beauty of dental crowns lies in their customizability, as their shape, size and color can be manipulated to perfectly blend in with your bite and the appearance of your natural teeth.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF NEEDING DENTAL CROWNS?
Dental crowns often come into play when fillings are no longer feasible. This could be due to
- A very large cavity
- A cracked or worn-down tooth that needs structural support to remain functional
- A tooth weakened by advanced decay or certain medications
Dental crowns are also suitable to “cover up” discolored or misshaped, but otherwise healthy, teeth, resulting in a more even, more attractive smile.
THE PROCEDURE FOR PLACING DENTAL CROWNS
Most dental crowns can be placed in two visits to your Grand Parkway Smiles dentist in Richmond. Here is what to expect:
- The dentist prepares your tooth to receive a dental crown by removing a thin layer of your existing tooth to accommodate the prosthesis. A core buildup may also be performed to add additional structural support inside the tooth. Following a root canal, your dentist may also insert a metal post to further stabilize the tooth.
- Next, your dentist will make an impression of the tooth that is being treated, either by taking a digital scan or by creating a mold from a putty-like material.
- The impression will be sent to the lab where technicians will customize your dental crown for a perfect fit. It typically takes a few days for your new permanent crown to be made, so in the meantime your dentist will send you home with a temporary crown.
- While wearing your temporary crown you may experience temperature sensitivity when consuming hot and cold foods or drinks. Be careful with your provisional prosthesis! Avoid sticky foods like chewing gum, as well as very hard foods like nuts to prevent the temporary crown from loosening or cracking.
- When your permanent crown comes back from the lab, you’ll return for another dentist visit for placement. The temporary prosthesis is removed and your dentist will put the permanent crown over the tooth. The dentist then makes adjustments and checks for a perfect fit. When you and your dentist are both happy with the way your new crown looks and feels, it will be cemented into place.
WHY CHOOSE GRAND PARKWAY SMILES IN RICHMOND FOR DENTAL CROWNS?
Not all dentists are created equal, and neither are all dental crowns. The experienced dentists at Grand Parkway Smiles use only top quality materials and are committed to a high level of attention to detail when crafting and installing your new dental crown. From excellent functionality to superior appearance, our patients’ satisfaction is our top priority.
Worried about cost? We offer affordable dental financing options so you can get the treatment you need today!
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER RECEIVING DENTAL CROWNS?
Your new crown may feel a little strange in your mouth at first. Give it time – after a few days of getting used to the prosthesis, you won’t even notice the dental crown anymore and it will function, look, and feel just like a natural tooth.
With regular brushing and flossing, along with a little TLC while chewing hard or sticky foods, your new dental crown can last several years without additional special care. Just be sure to see your Grand Parkway Smiles dentist for regular checkups like you normally would.
Want to know more about dental crowns? Contact your Grand Parkway Smiles dentist today and schedule a consultation by calling 832-222-0016.
Loved this dentist! So quick, nice and informative... I was dreading taking my 21 month old daughter to her first appointment but they were so helpful and sweet! Highly recommend this office